Abuse can often start when women are pregnant, at childbirth or get married. Women may want to believe that their abuser will change and that the abuse will stop, but the reality is it usually gets worse and more frequent. Very rarely will an attack be a ‘one off’.
It can be hard to leave when...
- your abuser promises to change again and again.
- you care about your abuser and hope they will change.
- you feel ashamed about what has happened or believe that it’s all your fault.
- you are scared that if you leave, you will be found.
- you have nowhere to go and have no money.
- you have children and will have to explain to them.
- you are scared of being alone, leaving your community, your friends or your family.